Touring Temagami

Comments

Like the site? Hate the site? Did I get something wrong? Want to say hello? Type your thoughts into the box on the right. Then click post. Tell me who you are, but don't supply an email address. You can also contact me privately if you want a response.

Please note: If you put any links in your comments, they will be discarded. Sorry but comment spam is really annoying.

Posted Monday, August 9th, 2004 05:48 pm

Outstanding! Really well put together. Pictures and reports were excellent. Going up in two weeks from Boston and can't wait. The report instantly transported me to that wonderfully pristine environment. Enjoyed your houseboat comment...I could tell you stories of several encounters wit them. Thanks for sharing. Paul

Posted Thursday, August 12th, 2004 09:35 am

Paul already said it but it's worth repeating: Outstanding! Really well put together. My wife and I just returned yesterday from a week on Route 4 (extremities all around Lake Temagami) and encountered many of the same pleasures, frustrations, and socks. Your details will help our our trip to the northeast portion once we forget our where's-that-damned-portage moments. Terry, Ottawa.

Posted Sunday, December 5th, 2004 10:29 pm

Casually we entered in this site...Now the winter is starting,and we can't wait until the summer to be there....beautiful pictures!!! It looks like a perfect place to connect with nature and with ourselves!!!! Thanks for sharing your experience... Mel & Pablo (from Toronto)

Posted Saturday, October 1st, 2005 07:43 am

Wow, Wow what a small world really. I have just seen your Ishpatina report of Sept., 05 and then read this. I enjoyed both allot. I have solo paddled the area alot, with GPS, ( my other paddler) Have written a story on -ottertooth.com (last major fire 1996) and did a couple trips just like this one and felt like I was reading my on reports when you refer to , (camp groups who squat on all the good site all summer, i.e. 1 leaves when another enters, the small armies on portages, shitting in the woods. .. I was sorry to see you had no pics of the pictographs on Diamond, Thats where the Wow comes in... That was me, Wife my 7 and 1.5 yr old (in rented red Lakeland air canoe) who was running back south at 4 just before storms. I have experienced the wild storms up there before and warned allot of sudden changes, but yet again it happened on Diamond? We had been in calm water all day, and pushed to the pictographs. I worried we would have to paddle against this on the way home. But just at the end of our pics, your pic of the black clouds shows best. The winds swang from the north east at 60 km, I kept the canoe near shore and just ruddered south. I also saw several groups camped and we hoped they were OK. as storms passed to the north as we went threw Sharp rock back into calm water and Blue sky. Diamond , what a place . I have had to take quick shelter almost ever time I have crossed it. Well just as we approched the Sand beach over the hill it came , #3and as we paddled by the moored house boats ( being videod by a nice lady) her husband pushed her out of the way and told us we were going to die. My wife grapped the baby , son the paddles, I the canoe and barrel, and we ran to the van amonst the closest hittingloudest lightning I had seen in a while. We have not gone out this year, 05 but as today as I write this we are heading to Algonquin to mtn bike. Truly a thing you can count on in Temagami, a wild storm day. Cheers and keep great reports coming. Enjoyed both.

Posted Saturday, March 11th, 2006 01:25 am

I went to Maple Mountain as a camper in 1991 at the age of 11. It was like I never left after I saw your beautiful pictures and stories (such as the Hap Wilson comment) that brought be back to my tripping days. I miss Temagami, I must make a date to return. Thank you. Ariel, Toronto.

Posted Sunday, July 2nd, 2006 02:25 pm

Thanks for the site. My wife and I have done a lot of Algonquin tripping but we are planning to go to Temagami this September. With the exception of the shit on the path, everything you have written makes me look forward to the trip more and more!

Posted Wednesday, February 28th, 2007 04:29 pm

Just read about your trip. I was with you ever step of the way in DIamond and Lady Evelyn. I knew just where you were as you wrote about it. Lady Evelyn Lake was my back yard for the the first 24 years of my life, from 1952 till 1974. My parents were 'Gillmore's Island Camp'. Now known as Island 10.

Posted Wednesday, February 28th, 2007 04:35 pm

Another comment. Back in the days I lived there there were canoe trips, but there was never any 'calling cards' left at the campsites. The only indication anyone camped was a small pile of unused wood and a charred circle of rocks. I guess the new age canoers think there is someone behind them to clean up. Well any way, to all that visit Lady Evelyn, I knew her when she was still a virgin.. Jack Gillmore, now in Fairbanks Alaska.

Posted 10-09-2008

Was paddling on Lady Evelyn in August 2008.

I really enjoyed your commentary and pics as I recall similar moments on our trip. (White capped waves going over our bow on Lady E.,a few nice storms too) However, all of our campsites were very clean (thankfully) and we left them that way also. Many fond memories, thanks for posting your trip journal.

Graham, Burlington.

Posted Thursday, February 2nd, 2012 11:06 pm

I cannot tell a lie, that rellay helped.

Post comments

Type your comments into the box below, then click 'Post'.

Prove you're human