North Boundary Loop home
Day 9 journal
Day 10 journal
Map information
Photos
Lessons
Jungle home

Comments

Comments are now closed

Too much comment spam. Have you got something to say? Contact me privately.

re: Introduction

Posted Friday, August 8th, 2003 06:21 pm

Be the first to post a comment.

re: Day 10

Posted Sunday, August 10th, 2003 10:38 pm

Thanks for this site! A great read...sounds like you met the same bunch of kids that were there when we last went through (big heavy canoes, wooden boxes for supplies!). We're planning another jaunt up to this gorgeous area and appreciated hearing about your adventures. You're right about not missing a thing...when we emerged from one of our journeys in Killarney, the only thing that had changed was that Elvis had died? (Am I dating myself?). One other time, when I went into the park, roadsigns were in miles and when I came out they had changed to kilometers....what do you mean 400 to Toronto??!! Bob

re: Comments

Posted Tuesday, August 12th, 2003 10:30 am

Hey, thanks for the reminder about the construction on Hwy 17. I'm going to Killarney in a few days (I also live in the Ottawa area, as all right-thinnking canoeists do.) I think I'll go through Algonquin Park. It's about 30 km longerthat way, but who cares? I really enjoyed your notes. I've been going to Killarney Park for 36 years, and you captured much of the spirit of it. By the way, I have some detailed trip notes too. Have a look at http://opuspocus.ca/sky/tripnote.htm . richard at opuspocus dot see eh

re: Comments

Posted Tuesday, August 12th, 2003 03:08 pm

Re -- "What are these?: Mushrooms? Flowers?" Answer: Indian Pipes. They are albino plants, have no chlorophyl. They are also saprophytes, living on the decaying roots of other plants and trees. The extra info is from a web reference. Nice photography and web journal layout. ...murray

re: Photos

Posted Saturday, August 16th, 2003 11:38 am

Once again, I paddle vicariously with you this summer. Beautiful.

re: Comments

Posted Saturday, August 23rd, 2003 01:42 am

Thanks for the trip journal Chris. It brought back memories of when we used to go up there back in the 80's. We'd rent our canoes at the Chapman's and could go for 4 days without seeing another person. -kenroy

re: Day 5

Posted Wednesday, June 16th, 2004 09:54 pm

Found your interesting trip report as I was planning for an end of June trip this year. Interestingly we stayed on Fish and VanWinkle July22 &23 of 2003 or about 1 week before you. Coming out of Whitefish Falls we followed Howry Ck. to Fish and returned via the northern string thence into Nellie and back via Grace. The Round Otter, Goose route has some of the most beautiful water flowers we've seen and in great abundance. We actually travelled up Bear L. to Van Winkle which is a shorter route but not as interesting. You made the right choice for a single route, but both are very attractive. I had the same experience with getting a site on Nellie but about a week before the trip, space opened up, probably as a result of the lousy weather forecast. In the end the weather was much like you describe but incredibly, we were the only ones on Nellie for the night. T. Hooper hoopers at golden dot net

re: Photos

Posted Saturday, August 28th, 2004 05:52 pm

Beautiful shots. We've been through the park many times and it remains my favourite. Just one comment..The photos of Silver Peak where you say you love what the wind does to solid rock. I believe it was a glacier the carved and smoothed these old mountains. When I was on this peak you could still make out the scour lines. What do you think? I guess over the thousands of years the wind must have helped out. Thanks for the photos Tom

re: Day 6

Posted Saturday, January 1st, 2005 06:18 am

There's a branch hanging in front of the portage marker at the creek, right at eye level - I overportaged too. I read a 1985 account of this portage putting an abandoned cabin in the same area.

re: Comments

Posted Friday, March 4th, 2005 08:26 pm

Great site

re: Lessons

Posted Sunday, March 20th, 2005 09:55 am

Great Site I am from Newfoundland canada.Have You guys been here yet.This is a great place.And i love your site it made me fell like i was there with you guys.But i wish i could Have seen some more night pics or any night pics.But it is a nice site.Thanks for sharing it with us.

re: Photos

Posted Friday, August 12th, 2005 06:10 am

The person who owns the big boat on the island at baie fine is Frances Langford who married Ralph Evenrude Of Evenrude boat motors.

Posted Monday, September 17th, 2012 05:57 pm

Abnormal this post is totaly uneelatrd to what I used to be looking google for, but it surely was once listed on the first page. I suppose your doing one thing right if Google likes you enough to position you at the first web page of a non related search.

NBL home | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Map | Photos | Lessons | Jungle |