Ishpatina Ridge

September 16 – 20, 2005

Comments

Please note: tell me who you are and where you're from, but do not give your email address or chances are it will be harvested for spam. You can also communicate with me privately.

Posted Wednesday, September 28th, 2005 12:37 pm

Be the first to post a comment.

Posted Wednesday, September 28th, 2005 02:43 pm

In my expert opinion, as an avid lip balm user,and addict, it is NOT food, and I will sleep in my tent with it, with or without my tentmates approval! I might even be crazy enough to use it IN the tent too :) Lisa

Posted Friday, September 30th, 2005 03:12 pm

awesome trip. would like to join you guys next year. jack

Posted Saturday, October 1st, 2005 07:52 am

Hey, great report, see further my comments on "Your Temagami Aug., 04.trip" Once again neat pics and interestng twist on things. Your next one should be around threw Diamond to Obabika and see Alex, the old growth and Spirit rock. I dare say My life and my outlook changed after talking with him and seeing this area. cheers , ;) Tony W

Posted Saturday, October 8th, 2005 08:37 pm

I enjoyed reading your account. Reason being is that we arrived at Beauty Lake Rd bridge at 9:30am on September 21st! I guess we just missed you. Fortunately for both of us, as solitude is what is so beautiful up there. This was my second trip to Ishpatina. the first was two years ago in early October when we summitted in a blizzard. This time the sun shone brightly and it was actually hot. The view was magnificent. We stayed three nights at the McCulloch Lake campsite/portage and found it to be a great site, but I'm sure you're right about bugs in the summer. You spoke of the Smoothwater-Apex Lake portage as being muddy. It certainly was and I almost lost a shoe as well. Two years ago we were able to paddle straight to the shore at the start of the portage and didn't have any difficulty at all. The water level was much lower this year. Thanks again for sharing your trip report. John

Posted Saturday, October 15th, 2005 11:22 am

there is a easier & cheaper way to go to the ridge if you look on your map . go in from capreol north of sudbury you can drive your truck not a car right to the sturgeon river if you have a 4wd you can drive right to hamlow it is only 2 hour,s from capreol

Posted Monday, October 17th, 2005 09:19 pm

Great trip report - though you made it sound like the 8 or so portages from Smoothwater to Scarecrow were nothing to write home about. Quite impressive that you all reached Scarecrow around the noon hour in time for a hike up the ridge. Nevertheless, I thank you for pointing out a very interesting route. I had forgotten about the Beauty Lake access to Smoothwater - and had to pull out the map to realize that the Sunnywater route is not the only route in. Thanks again. Street p.s. Any clue as to whether the S Lady E branch into Florence would have been passable?

Posted Thursday, November 3rd, 2005 09:04 am

Does anyone know how deep the Sturgeon River is right now? Just trying to figure out if I will be able to drive my SUV (4WD) all the way from Capreol to Hamlow lake around November 12th.

Posted Friday, November 18th, 2005 10:33 am

As a boy in Temagami, I remember my Dad telling me one night at the supper table about repairing the roof of the fire tower on Caribou Mountain. Since I'm 65 now, you can guess how many years ago that was. He said he had a rope tied around him for safety purposes. He was an L & F carpenter now called MNR. Enjoyed your site. Well done! Darryl Lalonde,Sudbury

Posted Thursday, February 22nd, 2007 08:09 am

Great journalling! I've never been to the Temagami area and just yesterday read something in a camping book about it. I've spent time in other parts of Ontario, but will now definitely need to go there. Your account made me wish I had been there. Susan, Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Sunday, June 15th, 2008 02:24 pm

Did you bring your boats to the summit? You are crazy - and can trust people in northern Ontario - at least in my experience. Thanks for your trip log, great source of info. I've done Maple many times and this year we will do 17 nights, Ishpatina to Maple to Wanipeiti through the Sturgeon, Solace PP, Florence and S. lady E rivers, Lady E lake, Obabika R, Sturgeon R. Cheers, Tom in Ottawa ~100 days spent in T-mag thus far. Never enough!

Posted Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 05:13 pm

Great trip report and helpful for my trip planning. We did the same trip in September, 2008. I can't believe you pushed through the 8 portages to Scarecrow on your second day so quickly! Looking forward to the 2009 hiking season, when maybe I'll do Maple Mountain. Regards, Derek / www.ontariohighpoints.com

Posted Tuesday, June 16th, 2009 07:59 am

Hap here...I find that most canoeists today have difficulty navigating and finding trails if there are no large, invasive man-made signs, arrows, neon, flagging tape, etc. The Ishpatina trail is easily located if you walk 50m. north of the cabin site. Remember - the ranger cabin was moved from its original location and is now situated at the south end of Scarecrow, quite some distance from the trail.

Posted Saturday, September 14th, 2013 09:30 am

constantly i used to read smaller articles that also clear their motive, and that is also happening with this article which I am reading at this time.

Post comments

Type your comments into the box below, then click 'Post'.

Prove you're human