Gros Morne

August 20 to September 5, 2005

Comments

Please note: tell me who you are and where you're from, but do not give your email address or chances are it will be harvested for spam. You can also communicate with me privately.

Posted Monday, September 26th, 2005 12:11 am

Be the first to post a comment.

Posted Monday, September 26th, 2005 01:43 pm

Gorgeous photos, as always! Yet another photo-essay to add to my 'let's move to Canada' lobbying pack. I was there as a kid, and somehow had forgotten just how incredibly gorgeous it is... -shawn, UK

Posted Monday, September 26th, 2005 01:53 pm

Hi Chris - I loved your photos. They reminded me of my trip to Newfoundland at the age of 15 (the last vacation I ever took with my folks!). Of course, at 15, I was more interested in the local wildlife than the vistas and seascapes. At the age of 49, I find Stanleyville and the seasweed from Portland Creek stunningly beautiful. xoxoxkathie

Posted Monday, September 26th, 2005 10:45 pm

Chris - excellent job once again! I hope one day you are going to write a book! I haven't been east either, and this just confirms the fact that I need to go! Thanks for sending me this! Cousin Sue

Posted Wednesday, September 28th, 2005 12:00 pm

What a wonderful yarn you always spin Chris! The wonderful captures are terrific and, as always, the narrative puts me on the trail with you. Thank again dear friend. flatland andy

Posted Saturday, October 1st, 2005 10:34 am

Ah, just gorgeous. I love the stories and the stunning photos. Thanks for another vicarious trip! Cathy

Posted Wednesday, March 1st, 2006 10:41 am

Just stumbled upon these pages and enjoyed viewing your photos. We were there the week prior to your visit. I have some photos from my trip you can see, as well. Google "gros morne michaeltokyo" for my Pbase gallery. Mike W. NJ & Saratoga, NY

Posted Friday, June 2nd, 2006 01:15 am

I love that you included so many pics and details of Green Gardens, my favourite place in the whole world. I felt like I got to go back there for a bit. I am developing my part of my work website and we are able to put a photo of a landscape we love. By looking at your website I was able to remember what photos of Green Gardens look like and wonder how that would inspire others. I am a psychotherapist and art therapist and am looking for a photo which holds meaning for potential clients. Thanks for sharing your trip. Gwen

Posted Saturday, July 29th, 2006 03:41 am

Hi Chris We're moving to Corner Brook next week from the UK and looking at your photos reconfirmed our reasons why. Thanks! Angela UK

Posted Monday, September 4th, 2006 09:30 am

Great site. I really appreciated the depth and honesty in the description of your trip.

Posted Tuesday, February 19th, 2008 08:30 pm

Easy to tell you're from Ontario. Glad you returned from whence you came safe and sound. Ray Corner Brook

Posted Monday, July 7th, 2008 03:28 pm

Hi, Chris - Wonderful description of climbing Gros Morne. My husband & I are going to newfoundland for the 1st time and had hoped to climb it, too, while we camp there. We are much older (57 & 60) than you were though, when you did it, and we are not in prime condition. GORP Travel calls it "strenuous to very strenuous" and says "7.5 hrs." Dare we try it? Kathi, Worcester MA USA

Posted Monday, July 7th, 2008 03:47 pm

@Kathi:
The part that would worry me is ascending the scree gully.
I saw people ascending via the trail down. It's long but much more gradual. The other option is take the gully, but take your time.
We've never met so I have no idea whether it's too much for you. You'll have to judge. But know that it's a lot easier to change your mind if you take the long way up.

Posted 16-01-2009

Yes it's easy to tell where you are from. You should accept a place for what it is a forget about your Upper Canada bias. Oh well!! Great you enjoyed your trip though.

Posted 20-04-2009

Hi,

After reading your account of your trip to Newfoundland I have to say that I am a little dissapointed. It seems that at every turn you found something to complain about and had very little to say about the friendly, good natured people that live on the west coast. I appreciate you being honest and I know that most of your complaints were no doubt truthful but I have to ask - What did you expect?-I'm not trying to be rude or anything but did you relly expect that car camping in nfld would be without trials and tribulations? about 90 percent of the business' on the northern penninsula are geared towards tourist and most of them are what you would call "middle of the road". you can get luxury, but like anywhere you'll have to pay for it. Unfortunatly there a culture of "meeting the standard" for most business owners. They do just enough to keep you satisfied but you get very few extras unless you pay for it...take shallow bay motel for instance... you talk about fresh fish, which they could get everyday if they wanted but they make their money from bus tours who will probably never be back... so they buy cheaper frozen fish and pass it off as fresh and charge the same price as fresh... sad but true.

Anyway what I am trying to say is that I can relate to many of your misgivings but I wish you would see it for what it is: a remote destination where you must take what you get with a smile on your face!

ps: Raleigh was named for Sir Walter Raleigh, a famous (or infamous) british ship captain...not the city in N.C

Posted Friday, August 14th, 2009 06:54 pm

Actually, the difference for most newfoundlanders between a pond and a lake has nothing to do with size but is related to source. If the body of water is fed by a river it's a lake. If no river feeds into it we usually call it a pond.

Posted Wednesday, June 2nd, 2010 02:08 pm

Hello I am writing from a publisher coming out with a new title - things to see in Newfoundland. I would like to use a photo or two from you. Please reply by email kmccarron@gmail.com and I can tell you more about the project. Thanks Katherine

Posted Thursday, November 4th, 2010 06:50 pm

I don't understand why people like yourselves come to Newfoundland and expect things to be handed out for free....or then again when your from a bigger city....always seem to think things are never good enough for you......seriously your going to complain that there was fog, (did you forget your in NL?)or that you had to pay $9.00 to get into a historic site for the day??? seriously! I lived in Ontario for a while...;..and things there are far from cheap!

Posted Thursday, July 28th, 2011 12:24 pm

I have been planning my week long trip to Gros Morne and found your first-hand account very informative and helpful. I was especially glad to learn that the times and levels of difficulty of the hikes are probably slightly exaggerated in the park's guide, and also to learn which hikes you liked. With our limited time that is particularly important. Great travel-log! - GTA, ON

Post comments

Type your comments into the box below, then click 'Post'.

Prove you're human