Bonnechere River Trip

Algonquin Park, May 10 to 15, 2005

Comments

Please note: tell me who you are and where you're from, but do not give your email address or chances are it will be harvested for spam. You can also communicate with me privately.

Posted Saturday, May 21st, 2005 09:59 pm

Be the first to post a comment.

Posted Tuesday, May 24th, 2005 05:25 am

Wow. That looked like, um, fun? Now i see why your hands were all gashed up. Looks like you did more bushwacking than canoeing! Congrats to all for making it through. Looked very challenging! PS: Why is John naked? djf.

Posted Tuesday, May 24th, 2005 09:22 am

Great trip-record, as always, Chris! It's a helpful warning for me not to get overly nostalgic about holidaying in Canada's wilderness (though I'd still like something wilder than the semi-suburban Peak District I hiked in last weekend). well done for getting through it all! shawn, UK

Posted Tuesday, May 24th, 2005 11:02 am

Chris old friend, what a wonderful yarn you always spin. I can almost see the black flies racing to get to you. Thanks so much. andy (the flatlander)

Posted Tuesday, May 24th, 2005 02:07 pm

As always, but this time *much* more than usual: "better you than me, mate!" ekt,Ottawa

Posted Tuesday, May 24th, 2005 05:00 pm

I was on McKaskill 2 days before you began your adventure. We stayed at the cabin ( the people that took over the cabin , 2 guys ) were the ones that would have talked to you. We were the first to portage into McKaskill ( everyone else you saw takes their canoe carts in through the logging road) we also did a day trip to explore the mouth of the Bonnechere to see what it was like..My buddy got out of the canoe and bushwacked the first 200 metres.. I just took one look at it and said.." I cant be bothered"..I never left the canoe...just the two first mounds looked like the place never gets used/cleared. I too thought that the route should disappear from the canoe map. Even the guy who issued permits thought it would be a wild ride..my thoughts ? you guys must be insane.

Posted Thursday, May 26th, 2005 07:59 pm

Did this trip in the 90's ,one day to Mckaskill three day's of bushwacking' one day down the road to the depot,and one day to round lake. Never again Met a local who said no one goes there !

Posted Saturday, May 28th, 2005 08:12 am

Thanks for the trip log. Now I'll be able to join in on the conversations about canoe trips down the Bonnechere River at cocktail parties. -stainless-

Posted Monday, June 6th, 2005 11:41 am

I haven't laughed so hard in a LONG time!!!! Too bad I wasn't there!to 'enjoy' this trip! HAHA!! Marilyn S.

Posted Thursday, June 9th, 2005 02:00 pm

Fun, fun. You guys would probably like Bissett creek now that they've decommissioned the portages - sounds similar. Chris, Ottawa.

Posted Friday, June 10th, 2005 01:47 pm

Great job on writing and creating a fascinating account of a trip that should only be read, not attempted! Many great laughs - thanks! - JJ

Posted Friday, June 17th, 2005 02:35 pm

I think i can scratch the Bonnechere off my list of rivers to explore thanks to your expedition Chris. While i don't doubt your sanity, I haven't seen you in a while so i think i just better check up on you. lynne

Posted Sunday, July 3rd, 2005 02:42 am

I completely by chance chose to do this trip in 1977 just after it was cleared by Park staff. I had a great time travelling solo and very light (50 lb canoe, 30 lb pack). Only a few bushwack portages on the upper section, the rest I waded where it was too shallow. The section below the power line was beautiful and the portages along the river - all 12 km of them - were clear. They follow the original logging era access road. My trip continued up the Pine River, then overland to Tarn Lake and Stratton to end at Achray. Total of 3.5 days, camping at the hydro line, Couchain and Tarn. Given all the reports of it being so overgrown now, I think I will just stick with my fading memories and not try to paddle it again. DM - Toronto

Posted Wednesday, August 3rd, 2005 12:12 am

Hi, We were just there this weekend (August 2005). For future reference, there are at least two campsites available (orange signs posted) on Beaverdam Lake. The site we stayed at had its own beach and beautiful sunsets - right across from Beaverdam Lake Lodge. Awesome!

Posted Friday, March 3rd, 2006 08:24 pm

Getting cabin fever so I do some online research for the spring outing. A remarkably humorous account of torture. We do this not because it is easy but because it is hard! jz, PA

Posted Saturday, March 25th, 2006 11:48 pm

Two of us did this trip last summer (Aug 05) but started at the gravesite, about half way up the winding, shallow, log-infested part of the Bonnechere. A frustrating start to a trip, but the sites on Couchain were great, as was the lift over and hike up to Egg Rock. Next time we will get in at egg rock and continue downstream. I have a cottage on Stevenson Lake, so it's an easy 2 day trip, perfect for bringing novices. It's a quiet, relaxing journey down the Bonnechere.

Posted Tuesday, November 28th, 2006 11:48 pm

Enjoyed the graphic description of your group's trip. I certainly won't be seeing the Bonnechere in this lifetime! Regards, Paul. inHaliburton.